Saturday, October 6, 2007

What's with the sun?!?!?!? I was told by many a long-term Scot (some, Americans and Canadians in hiding) that it was supposed to be rainy and cool, in the low 10s (low to mid 50s for us Yanks). "Sun, what is this sun?" They would joke. Dr. Newman (my Mid. East advisor and prof) used to make jokes about summer, mostly how they don't exist; now, he seems utterly confused, saying things like, "Wow, I think October is going to be the new summer." And he's right. The last week or so, it's been sunny and warm (low to mid 60s). Its rained maybe one day. My umbrella, bought especially for the awful weather here for approximately 1 pound), is sitting under a pile of unreturned library books (so early in the semester, I know!), feeling lonely and neglected. I haven't even opened it yet. Where did this weather come from? If global warming finally looking my way?

We took advantage of the weather and climbed another arm of Arthur's Seat; actually THE Arthur's Seat, as opposed to the wonderful Craigs surrounding it. It seems the rest of the city was taking advantage of the weather, too, so I suppose we were in good company.

Which brings me to another topic which has left me perplexed ever since I got here. In the States, its easy to glance out your window and look at what people are wearing in order to determine the temperature. If everybody is wearing winter coats, its cold. If people are out in tank tops, its hot. Pretty simple, I think. Here however, I have run into a quandry (aside from the fact that my windows look out into private gardens and not the street). Upon looking at the clothing of those walking outside, at first I see a woman bundled up in her thickest winter coat. OK, so it's going to be chilly. But wait! About 20 feet behind her is a guy in a t-shirt. OK, so he's a guy; we all now how stubborn they can be. But then a group of girls, all in spaghetti straps and skirts. And walking in the opposite direction, a group of girls wearing furry winter coatsand looking cold. Really cold. The fact of the matter is, you cannot tell how cold it really is outside by looking at what people are wearing. There are the girls who will sacrifice warmth for fashion, a trend found on any college campus in the States, for sure. But these girls don't look COLD. They look fine. And then the girls who incorporate winter clothing into their fashionable wardrobe; but if it's really warm, why not go for the skimpier fashion? And then, what are adults doing not dressing practically? SOMEbody is not dressing practically, and I can't figure out who.

Another fashion trend: layering. On a chilly day, girls will come to class in winter coats and will promtly begin to disgard all of teh layers: the coat, the sweater, the long-sleeved shirt, the scarf (sometimes, if it doesn't fit with the outfit exactly). Underneath it all will be a fantastically skimpy shirt, acessorized with dangly necklaces and bangles. And that all fits perfectly with their skinny jeans and knee-high boots and the fancy belt. Its amazing. And actually, not such a bad idea. I've taken to wearing coats over tank tops, because in a lot of pubs and the like, and when I'm moving around a lot, it's too hot for winter (or even fall-ish) stuff. They may have something going for them here...

No comments: