Tuesday, October 30, 2007

This weekend, I FINALLY, for the first time ever, convinced a boy to go dancing with me. I've been trying to since we got here, but a wrentched back and very busy schedules had prevented this event until now. I've been looking for some places to go dancing; they offer tango lessons through the Uni (very expensive, especially with the exchange rate); there's a place up by the Docks which has Latin night on Wednesdays (again, very expensive, and a little bit more exclusive); there's a place close to us that offers salsa lessons on Mondays, but for some reason We haven't been able to get moving Monday nights; and there is a little bar Uptown (if I may use to colloquialism from Athens) called El Barrio that focuses on Latin stuff. Latin food, music, drinks, and dancing. So we headed up that way, to New Town and Rose Street, covered in bars.

There were supposed to be lessons that night, but we got there a bit late, so I think we missed them. But we settled in all right, got a couple of drinks (more for Jonmikel's sake, as he was a bit nervous), and found a spot from which we could watch the crowd. Before 11, there weren't too many people there, which was fine because we also didn't have to pay the 5 pounds per person cover charge. There was a bachelorette party going on: a bunch of fairy-costumed women, old and young, hitting on one of the DJs and resident dance instructor. There was also a group of mostly Spanish women, one of whom was dating a very nerdy British guy, who most of the time refused to dance and just looked on longingly. The only woman who got up the courage was the one dating the nerdy guy, and they both seemed to have a great time despite his utter lack of skill. :-)
There was also an older couple (I say older only because of how SHE acted, though I would probably put them in their mid- to late-40s) who came in later and stood at the top of the stairs (prime people-watching spot). They were interesting because he obviously wanted to dance and spent 45 minutes trying to dance around his wife, trying to encourage her, and she stood there looking stern and upset. Jonmikel and I got the impression that dancing was something they used to go together, but not anymore. I felt sorry for the guy, but last time I saw them he was buying more drinks for her. A good strategy. ;-)
There was also a group of women that included a woman of about 70 who was a really excellent dancer and was teaching all the rest how to dance. I was pretty impressed at her skill.
Last of all worth mentioning, there was a prostitue. Seriously. I'm not sure I've ever seen one work before. But she was probably about Jonmikel's age, thin, and alone. Dancing all alone in a very provacative manner. She was, however, a decent dancer. She was dressed nicely, if a little skimpily, and looked healthy and happy. I don't know what Scotland's prostitution laws are, but I would wager they are a little more progressive than the US'. This girl was not at all like the prostitutes one thinks of, tired-looking, haggared, standing on the street. She was outgoing, talking to all kinds of people and laughing and smiling; she eventually closed the deal with a lonely-looking, homely-looking older man who looked pleased, if a little embarrassed. But it was an interesting cultural moment for me, at least, as I have never come into any contact with prostitutes.

At any rate, the night was a lot of fun; it was good to get out, and the weather warmed up enough for us to not even need out coats for a while after we left the bar. It was less salsa dancing than Latin Pop and Reggaeton dancing, the reggaeton part was fine with me. It's one of my favorite genres of music. After 11, the place was hoppin', crowded and about 100 degrees. It was nice to feel like we were in the tropics. We did some dancing, practiced some steps. I'd like to practice a little more at home sometime, seeing as I have a modest collection of Latin tunes. But we've agreed to go out and dance there again soon!

No comments: