Saturday, September 29, 2007

OK, so not really midgets. It was an attention getter. Worked, didn't it? But what I'm really talking about is all the people who work as cashiers in supermarkets. Jonmikel voiced this opinion: 'At first, I thought everybody who worked there were just midgets!' It was a joke, mind you, but this is where it stems from: all the cashiers in supermarkets are sitting down. They all have fun little chairs they can lounge in while ringing up your groceries. It is kind of wierd at first, talking down at somebody, but it makes sense. I mean, why strain your back standing for 8 hours, when you could sit? It makes so much sense, that I wonder why the US hasn't caught on yet. Maybe that makes sense, too...

Anyway, I also have a statement to make about electric showers. While looking for flats here back in the States, I was confused about this term. When I got here, I realized that it meant that the water in your shower doesn't use a hot water heater - it's electrically heated by a box on the wall that isn't attached to the faucets on the bathtub at all. The temperature control is on this little box, and it's actually all very confusing. I hated it at first, being unable to figure out how to control temperature, and the water pressure is usually lacking. I mean, if the people in MOROCCO can figure out a normal shower, why can't the British? (OK, here I make the assumption that this is not just a Scottish thing, but a general UK or even European things) But now, I have come to a revelation. These things are cool. It means we don't have to waste electricity running the hot water heater. Don't really need hot water in the sink anyway. So that's kinda cool. Maybe they have something going for them, after all.

Also, everywhere we've stayed since we got here has high ceilings. I can remember high ceilings also from my various trips through Europe and Morocco, and I think they are very cool. High ceilings make even the smallest of places feel roomier, which is nice for our flat. And the ceilings are usually decorated with at least neat trim, if not anything elaborate (such as I saw in Croatia). It's just a nice touch.

No comments: