Monday, January 11, 2010

Moonscape

Growing up in the east, I'm used to seeing the moon only on the clearest of nights or through a cloud of the dusty haze that escapes from engine exhausts and coal power plants. It was there, camouflaged in that sick, yellow glow of industry, but you never really thought about it, and you never really looked at it because it would only remind you of the city looming just over the next hill. No escape from the light pollution to really see the moon for what it is.

But since moving out West, I think about the moon all the time. It is always there, clear and crisp, enjoying the fresh Wyoming air, free from any real light pollution. Even when you can see Vegas, humming at the horizon, it is often not enough to cloud the night sky, or the midday sky. Though I've never seen the man in the moon, I do love looking for him.

Some moonscapes that have managed to stay with me, no matter how many moons I see:


Moonrise in Capitol Reef National Park


The moon beyond the pines in Castle Gardens


Moon at sunset in Canyonlands National Park


Tis the Moon!


Arches National Park


Moonrise over Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh... through the city lights


Moon over the old medina in Meknes, Morocco... exotic with the markets and the tents and the 12th century city wall

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have totally different moon thoughts.

I remember seeing when I got off the bus as a kid and thinking 'thats cool, its 3 pm'i still think thats cool. and i see it every monday and tuesday when i drive home from work when it's dark. it never reminds me of anything but itself.

are you moon jaded?

Anonymous said...

just thought moon jaded sounded cool... like some sort of indie pop band that would do a duet with enya and then another one with leighton meester.