Thursday, December 24, 2009

This Year in Self Reflection...

A prompt by Thandelike on Twitter: metamorphosis chooses us. what inner surprises changed you in 2009? http://bit.ly/76ROTB

So what inner surprises or metamorphoses have I had this year?

1) That, after much resistance, I actually enjoy doing yoga.
2) That I’m not a hardcore outdoorsy person, and despite everybody’s superior attitude about being outdoorsy, I’m OK with that in myself. However, a 14-mile hike is totally worth it if there is beer and pizza at the end of the road.
3) That, as Crosby, Stills and Nash said, I will survive being bested, but I’m sure as hell never going to be happy about it.
4) That I really need to start telling people what’s on my mind, instead of just holding it all in, even if it gets me into trouble. I miss being tactless. I also miss not caring what people think of me, and though I entirely blame this on the people I've known in the last few years who think only of themselves and how they appear to other people and (in the process) hurt as many people as they can, I do know that I let them get to me in the first place and that this is something I need to work out on my own.
5) That I’m not a DIY kinda person even though I always thought I could be, but I guess I should learn. I also used to be pretty self-sufficient, but now that I’m in a relationship I feel very much connected and only one-half of a whole person. I love him dearly, but I’m still trying to figure out how all that works. And I think that’s OK.
6) That I really need to be better about communicating with friends. I hate phones and always will, so I will never voluntarily call people to chat, and “friends” really need to understand that and get over it. That being said, to the few friends I have who DO understand this: I know I need to be better at writing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reflection and growth are great things. Thought you needed a comment :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I have a response to that prompt... I thought about it all weekend and I don't think I had any surprises or metamorphoses. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a sign of stagnation.