Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Musings

Things I've though long and hard about today:

1) I really think personality tests are crap. I think I'm one of the small handful of people who actually understands that they are merely glorified horoscopes.

2) I really can't come up with a good reason why Scientology is different from, or any worse than, (for example) Catholicism, except that the former doesn't really have a deity, per say, and is, therefore, not a religion but a philosophy. There's just a huge disconnect looming over my head...

3) British scientists have discovered a rodent-eating pitcher plant in the Philippines, which I think is just about the coolest thing I've heard all year.




So in honor of these brilliant thoughts, I give you some vintage baseball league photographs I took at Gold Rush Days in South Pass City, WY. I dig vintage.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the difference is, while catholics maybe be equally crazy, the dont think you can cure diseases by taking vitamins, and they dont refuse perfectly good medical treatment that might save someone. they just... drink a lot and talk to zombies

Kat said...

Well I mean yeah there are specifics like that... and Catholics do, in some cases, refuse perfectly good medical treatment that might save someone, such as abortions that would save the mother's life.

But mostly, I'm talking about Scientology and Catholicism (though this can be expanded to any major religion, this was just the first I came up with) as institutions. Big corporations who make tons of money, command many high-profile followers, allow higher-ups to abuse children, have done some crappy things (though, to make a point, Scientologists never started a Crusade), and are all kinda crazy. So why is it that people are so much more afraid of and/or pissed off at Scientologists than they are of/at Catholics?

They just seem to have similar premises, and yet Scientology creates a bigger hubub. Is it just because its new? Or what?

Anonymous said...

i dont know. i just tend to ignore people with opinions.

Kat said...

LOL good call.